[PlanetCCRMA] xmms and OSS vs. ALSA

francis keyes fkeymo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 07:41:39 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I use xmms as my main media player.  For a long time now I've had the
following issue with it:  sometimes it works only with the ALSA output
plugin selected and sometimes it works only with the OSS output plugin
selected.
When it doesn't work, it gives the message "Can't open audio. Please check
that your soundcard is configured properly, you have to correct output
plugin selected and no other application is blocking the soundcard."
At the moment, it is only working with the OSS plugin.  I don't understand
this as I thought that my system under ccrma would be using ALSA all the
time.  Can anyone explain?

Here are some system specs:

Distro: Fedora 8
kernel: 2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc8.ccrmart