[PlanetCCRMA] jack kit and ext2 file system

Mon Apr 28 09:15:42 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 17:56 +0200, simone www.io-sound.org wrote:
> hallo
> the README file in jack kit source code says that jack for best
> performances has to be installed in a ext2 file system or that at
> least /tmp has to be mounted in a ext2 fs.
> Anybody can clarify me about this point?

I think you may have misunderstood.

Some of the files that are used by the jack server and clients to
communicate (the fifos that normally live in /tmp) should not be in a
journalled filesystem like ext3 (thus the reference to ext2). The
journalling mechanism will introduce latencies when those files are
accessed and that happens for all process cycles .

The solution is to put those files in ram memory, usually through a
tmpfs filesystem. The Planet CCRMA packages for Jack do that
automatically and I presume all other packages for other distributions
do the same.

So, no need to worry...