[PlanetCCRMA] CentOS5 support?

Thu Oct 25 09:53:02 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 09:00 +0200, Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Wade Nelson" <hollywoodb@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> > If there isn't, I'm considering rebuilding the SRPMS against CentOS5 and
> > was wondering if anyone else had similar interest.
>
> I have already done part of this for RHEL4 and RHEL5 derivatives. I
> don't have a repository online at the moment for several reasons; I
> could have one in a few days but most packages are quite out of date.
>
> Actually I intend to get back to work as soon as I am able to put
> together a sane build system, which I am currently working at.
>
> > I'm not sure in the future (figure 2+ years down the road) if it would
> > be rather simple or rather difficult to keep backporting PlanetCCRMA
> > packages to CentOS, especially with future Fedora versions supporting
> > things like PulseAudio.
>
> >From my experience with CentOS4, many packages build with little or no
> change. The lisp-based stuff is quite involved, but AFAIK this is the
> case for Fedora too, or at least it was before Fedora started to
> include packages like sbcl; I have not really been following these
> issues closely. The only package I was really unable to build even
> though I tried was ardour, because of the recent versions of glib/gtk+
> required for ardour2.

I've been hinting at getting this done for quite a while :-(

Right now I'm also working again on my build system, I upgraded to
centos5 and some stuff has to be tweaked. I'm close...

If I do this I would probably only deal with Centos5. One good thing is
the EPEL repository. Just in the same way that Planet CCRMA packages are
migrating to Fedora proper, the same thing could happen (maybe at the
same time?) with Centos5 support and EPEL for RHEL/CentOS 5.

-- Fernando