[PlanetCCRMA] Re: supercollider GUI

Jonathan Segel jsegel at magneticmotorworks.com
Thu Oct 18 13:41:02 2007

hi, i've been working with supercollider on linux since it was open-
sourced (sc3) at the same time as working with it in Mac OS X.
in linux i had tried various attempts at GUIs and settled on SCUM
(also a server system) but i have to admit the SwingOSC version looks
like it may be better. i haven't implemented it yet, but it looks
like it is basically the same as the OS X GUI system (which is wider
ranging than SCUM) and the code is basically transferable. i haven't
crossed over to SwingOSC in linux yet as i don't relsih the idea of
rewriting all those patches, but i'm gonna have to do it one of these
days.
in other words, i recommend starting with the SwingOSC system off the
bat!..

On Oct 18, 2007, at 12:00 PM, planetccrma-request@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
wrote:

> I seem to have everything already installed Supercollider related from
> CCRMA. I also found that SCUM is for GUI programing, which one would
> you recomend? SCUM or SwingOSC?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hector
>
> On 10/18/07, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 23:12 -0400, Hector Centeno wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been exploring Supercollider lately and I was wondering if the
>>> GUI aspect is working on Linux. I read here
>>> http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/591 that it is not
>>> implemented yet but I don't know if this is outdated information.  I
>>> tried some of the examples inside /usr/share/SuperCollider/Help/GUI
>>> but I just got errors... I'm quite new to it so I'm not sure if I'm
>>> doing the right thing (I was just cutting and pasting code and
>>> trying
>>> to run it). I've tried other code non-GUI related and SC seems to
>>> work
>>> fine. Basically I'm interested in the possibility of using SC with a
>>> GUI to display controllers (sliders, knobs, XY, etc).
>>
>> Yes, it is implemented. Look at SwingOSC as the solution, it is a
>> java
>> based server that takes care of doing gui things for you and the
>> latest
>> versions of SC have a much better integration than older ones. You
>> need
>> to install Java - the Sun version, I think - for it to work, I
>> can't add
>> that to Planet CCRMA because the license does not allow me to
>> redistribute it. The Planet CCRMA package is supercollider-
>> swingosc, I
>> think (you get everything I have if you install supercollider-world).

Jonathan Segel                 4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
jsegel-magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite-yahoo.com