[PlanetCCRMA] OT: FC5/6 on AMD K-6 500Mhz

Ken Smith kens@kensnet.org
Tue May 1 10:18:00 2007

Please accept my apologies in advance for this OT post. I'm a happy FC5
CCRMA user with another problem. My local LUG's e-mail server is down
;-( otherwise I'd ask there, and I know there is a solid body of good
RH/FC Linux knowledge here.

I'm setting up a test system on an old box with a AMD 500Mhz K6 CPU &
512m of memory. I'd like to get it to FC5 or 6 to do my testing. One of
the things I'd like to try is NetJack.

It runs FC4 fine. The installer for FC5 & 6 crashes in the package
selection process on either a clean install or an upgrade install. I
tried a Yum FC4 -> FC5 upgrade from the repository and Yum segfaults,
but not always in the same place. Once it got all the way to building
the transaction to do the upgrade and then segfaulted. Sometimes I get
Python error messages. The machine passes memtest86. Yumex does similar
although sometimes it gives an "illegal instruction" error. The machine
has an i586 kernel. Is the FC5 RPM build of Python i586 friendly?

Interestingly when booting the FC6 Live CD it crashes on the
"Uncompressing Linux" stage during the boot. No error message - it just
returns to the BIOS. It does the same if I boot a hard disk with an FC6
system installed via another box.  (Possibly because there is a i686
kernel there). It runs Knoppix with a 2.6.14 kernel without problems.

Is the K6 CPU really i586 class? I've switched off the CPU's internal
cache as suggested in a hardware compatibility guide I read.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.