[PlanetCCRMA] firewire status in fc7

Fri Jun 29 13:08:03 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 15:01 -0500, grae wrote:
> Hi Hector, thank you very much for your reply!
>
> Yes it did work! :)  I had seen that before but I figured that it
> meant that I would have to use that kernel.  (I'm not overly technical
> when it comes to kernels and the like)
>
> Anyway I did just install the 1394 libs and it works now.  I think I
> may still have some irq sharing problems as I am running on a laptop
> that seems to share the firewire with some other devices, but I'll do
> some more tests around that.
>
> Whichever way, it's great to be going on fc7!

Yeah, good news!

> On 6/29/07, Hector Centeno <hcengar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I ran into the same problem trying to capture video with Kino from a
> > DV camera through firewire and using F7. I found a solution that asks
> > to add a repository and install a tweaked stock fedora kernel and 1394
> > libraries (and a different version of Kino if you want to use it).
> > After installing them I was able to capture video using the CCRMA
> > kernel and Kino having no problems detecting and operating my camera.
> > I assume that you don't really need to install the kernel since the
> > CCRMA kernel is not based in the new Fedora firewire stack so I guess
> > you should just install the 1394 libraries provided in that repository
> > (unles you want to use a kernel similar to the Fedora stock kernel but
> > without the new stack).
> >
> > The information about this is here:
> > http://www.ezplanetone.com/xwiki/bin/view/KnowledgeBase/BrokenFC7FireWire
> >
> > I wonder if these 1394 libraries should be provided by the CCRMA
> > repository (as dependencies of the planetccrma-core package) since
> > without them seems that Firewire is broken, but then you wouldn't be
> > able to use firewire with the stock kernel (which anyways seems to be
> > having permission problems with it's new stack).

Yeah, pretty bad conundrum. I think I'll host those libraries anyway in
the planetcore repository. Maybe there's a way to make them compatible
for both kernels. The "hard core" sound users do need the Planet CCRMA
kernel anyway...

The other alternative would be to switch to the new firewire stack in
the Planet CCRMA kernel, but it is supposed to be a little less stable
and furthermore there could be a potential compatibility problem with
Ingo's patches.

-- Fernando