[PlanetCCRMANews] A bit OT: trying to install fc7 from hard drive - was [PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 7: Planet CCRMA for i386!

Valenciennes represents!! christoph.t@gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 04:27:09 2007

2007/6/13, Lloyd Kvam <pythonvenix.com>:
> On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 08:39 -0700, Cyrill wrote:
> > Hi there
> > It may be a bit off topic, sorry...
> >
> > Im trying to install fc7 on my pc i386, which has already an Ubuntu on it. I've downloaded the
> > .iso for fc7 and burnt the rescuecd.iso on a cd-rw, then i boot from it and choose "install from
> > hard drive", then i select the location of the file (here, /home/myself/Fedora-blahblah.iso), but
> > at this point i get an error message "Installation exited abnormally"?
>
> The .iso must be mounted as a file system.  The mount command typically
> would look like:
>         mount -o loop /home/myself/Fedora-DVD.iso /var/www/html/f7/
>
> -o loop means we are not mounting a real device but looping back to a
> file and treating it like a mountable device
>
> I am not sure that you would have the chance to mount the ISO through
> the rescue CD.  I assume you lack a DVD burner or a DVD reader on the
> target system.  I've handled that situation in the past by mounting the
> DVD iso where it can be accessed from a web server (see the above mount
> command) and used the install from network option.

No. I'm sure you don't have to mount the iso, I did this kind of
install several times. You just have to indicate where the iso is.
That is in which partition, and in which folder of this partition. For
example, if your iso is in sda5, in the /documents/fedora7-1386
folder, after choosing install from hard drive, anaconda asks you for
the iso, just:
- Choose /dev/sda5 (normally your partitions are listed)
- Indicate documents/fedora7-i386 (without /)
And go.
And anyway, if the path indicated is incorrect, it just indicates you
immediatly that the requested files were not found, and not the error
message Cyrill is given.

--
Christophe T