A bit OT: trying to install fc7 from hard drive - was [PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 7: Planet CCRMA for i386!

Christophe T christoph.t@gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:53:03 2007

2007/6/10, Cyrill <cduneauyahoo.com>:
> Hi,
> and thanks for the answers.
> I think my mistake was to assume that the installation would work from
> another logical partition, while it should be done from another primary
> partition... Not sure, but it seems very likely to me...
>
> Anyway, I have installed fc7 from a dvd-rw, and am right now "yuming" the
> planet-ccrma packages...
>
> thanks again,
>
> cyrill

Well, today I've installed the fedora7-x86-64 from a logical partition
sda6 (logical, and not lvm)...
Toi make it easier I have copied the iso file in the root of the
partition. I have just had to choose the right partition (/dev/sda6)
and install ran from it (much faster than from a cd or dvd moreover).
I've used a method I ve recently heard about, wich consists in copying
the /isolinux folder from the iso into /boot folder (no need to burn a
media, you can use mount for it) and then manually edit a new title in
grub.conf:
title  Fedora Core 7 install  #for example
       root (hd0,0)  #adapt it to your own config
       kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz
       initrd /isolinux/initrd.img

Reboot on the new title. Then choose install from hard drive, indicate
the partition and the path of the iso in that partition (without a
"/"). And that's it! The only condition is to have the iso in a
partition you won't use during install.
Sorry if my explanation is a little off topic related to your problem
but I'm so enthousiastic with that new method...
I'm quite surprised it didn't work in your case...
Did you actually try to install with your iso file on a logical partition?

Best regards
--
Christophe T