[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel-rt doesn't boot (fc7)

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri@yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 23:31:01 2007

--- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 10:26 -0700, Orcan Ogetbil
> wrote:
> > --- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
> > wrote:

> give
> > > the
> up
> > > right

> or
> or

> back
> hope
> > >
> > > Hmmm... looks like it is not finding the root
> > > partition (should not be
> > > the case but it would see that it could be a
> > > /dev/hdx vs. /dev/sdx
> > > issue). What do you have in /etc/fstab?
> > >
> > > I have to spend some time in double checking the
> > > kernel configuration
> > > files for the rt kernel against the ones that
> come
> > > with the standard
> > > fedora kernel. Maybe there are differences...
> (the
> > > config files I'm
> > > using come from pre-fc7 versions of Ingo's
> source
> > > packages).
> > >
> > That's what I thought as well (sdx, hdx issue).
> >
> > Here's my fstab:
> > ---
> > LABEL=LOGVOL1    /      ext3    defaults        1
> 1
> > #/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01  / ext3    defaults   1
> 1
> > LABEL=/boot   /boot     ext3    defaults        1
> 2
> > #/dev/sda1    /boot     ext3    defaults        1
> 2
> > devpts        /dev/pts  devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0
> 0
> > tmpfs         /dev/shm  tmpfs   defaults        0
> 0
> > /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /old  ext3  defaults   1
> 2
> > proc          /proc     proc    defaults        0
> 0
> > /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /pub  ext3  defaults   1
> 2
> > sysfs         /sys      sysfs   defaults        0
> 0
> > LABEL=SWAP-sdb1  swap   swap    defaults        0
> 0
> > #/dev/sdb1    swap      swap    defaults        0
> 0
> > LABEL=SWAP-sda2  swap   swap    defaults        0
> 0
> > #/dev/sda2    swap      swap    defaults        0
> 0
> > ---
> >

> > The commented out lines are the device names for
> the
> > LABEL's. I tried commenting out the LABEL's and
> > instead putting the device names in.
> >
> > But I got the same lockup.
>
> It looks like the problem is related to the use of
> LVM... but that
> should not change between kernels!
>
> -- Fernando

I worked on the subject today all day long, without
success. Here is what I did:

- I tried to recompile the kernel-rt with all the ata
and sata patches that come with the fedora 7 kernel
source rpm. There are 9 patches I believe. The
compilation went fine (I had to modify the kernel-rt
config file to make everything related to the patches
the same as the fedora 7 kernel config file.). This
didn't work. Still the same error message at the boot.

- I tried to edit the initrd script. In the init file
there are references to the root partition. See:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2191333
I changed the init file accordingly so that all the
root partition references point to the correct logical
volume. This didn't work either.

- Having a look at the original Fedora 7 init script,
I saw that there were additional modules being loaded
before mounting the root partition. These modules are:
mbcache.ko, raid0.ko, xor.ko, raid456.ko and
ata_generic.ko . I copied these files from my
kernel-rt compilation into the initrd, except
mbcache.ko which wasn't built as a module in the
kernel-rt I compiled. I changed the kernel-rt init
script to load these modules as in the original Fedora
7 kernel. Loading the initrd, which I made, didn't
help either. I couldn't find a way to compile mbcache
as a module. There is no entry in the make menuconfig
menu for it. Maybe this is the problem???

-I found this page:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0705.3/1039.html
This guy suffered from the same problem and he says
"Whatever broke LVM for this machine in between 2.6.18
and 2.6.21.1 has now been fixed.". He tried 2.6.22-rc2
.
I tried to compile the latest kernel I found in the
kernel.org (2.6.22-rc4) with the realtime patch for
kernel-rt-2.6.21. I couldn't apply the patch. It gave
errors for this kernel. My c knowledge is too inferior
to hack the kernel.

This is all I have done. Nothing worked, all the above
tries give the same error output and I am out of ideas
for today. Hope these will be an inspiration for
someone...

Orcan

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/