[PlanetCCRMA] Native Instruments Komplete 3 & Reason under Fedora 7

Vivek Ayer vivek.ayer@gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 13:13:02 2007

Hi folks,

I was thinking after I upgrade to Fedora 7, I really like too other
pieces of software mainly because of VST. In addition to the CCRMA
packages, which are great, I would also like to use the Komplete 3
package and Reason 3.0 packages which I have lying around. What's the
best solution for this?

Should I run them in Wine? I had installed under wine before, but ran
into bugs as wine can be unstable from time to time. What'll give me
the lowest latency/best performance? While wine has bugs, it does run
the apps natively, whereas XP installed under VirtualBox/QEMU will
produce no bugs, but run slow. I'm split over this decision. Then
there's Xen, which is supposed to run apps natively and Fedora 7 is
Xen-aware, but as far as the audio layer is concerned, I'm not sure
what the best API will be.

I know DSSI and LADSPA handle VST nicely, but just to have an
environment where VST is bug-free would be nice. Thanks.

Vivek