[PlanetCCRMA] Sound Quality

Martin Tarenskeen m.tarenskeen@zonnet.nl
Tue Jun 5 13:47:01 2007

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, John Dey wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> My problem is not one directly related with ccrma but I will ask anyway.  I
> hope someone will indulge me.
> Last night I tried to connect my laptop (Thinkpad t60p) to a high quality
> stereo.  Sound output from the stereo was distorted.  Yet attaching
> headphones to the computer out produce quality sound and sound quality with
> computer speakers is good.  Is there an impedance mismatch?  If so, what is
> the remedy.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

I think you are referring to a hifi stereo set when you say "stereo" ?
Connect for example a CD player to your "stereo", using the same
inputs that you tried to connect your Thinkpad to. Does it sound OK ?
Just to check nothing is wrong with your stereo set. BTW: Do not, I repeat
NOT, use "phono" input from a hifi stereo set. You can use CD, AUX, TUNER
inputs. Aux would be the usual choice.

Try lowering the output volume of your Thinkpad if the sound is distorted.
Headphone outputs can have quite high levels sometimes.

--

Martin