[PlanetCCRMA] Re: PlanetCCRMA/NVidia

Matt Barber brbrofsvl@gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 09:04:00 2007

(Wow, that last one didn't go at all -- what I meant to say was):

One nice thing about doing it with RPM is that you know exactly what
it's putting on your system, and you have full control over installing
or uninstalling -- useful if you like or need to tinker with hardware,
e.g., or like to run tests on kernels.  They are also especially
useful if you sysadmin a number of computers -- you can just put the
RPMS on a server and install from there as needed, with other kmods
and packages.  I rebuild csound (csound's "sndinfo" utility conflicts
with that from snd; also for csoundapi object in PD), mplayer (for
jack support), and wine (for compatibility with ccrma's libjack) as
well, and it's nice to have all the rpms in one place.

It looks to me like it's becoming more and more standard for
distributions to have their package managers handle third-party
modules.  I know this is the case with ubuntu, for instance.

Matt