[PlanetCCRMA] Partitioning a DAW, special?

Mon Jan 15 11:10:05 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 06:40 -0800, sevol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to install FC5 + PlanetCCRMA on a laptop & my search for info
> about possible special partitioning needs for a Linux DAW hasn't
> uncovered anything. This question isn't too rudimentary, I hope. Perhaps
> I don't know where to look, but finding nothing to indicate differently
> I'm thinking this will be ok:
>
> System Drive
> 60GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100 (dual boot - 24GB taken by XP)
>
> /	 0.75GB
> /usr	 7.00GB
> /tmp	 2.00GB
> /swap	 1.00GB
> /var	 0.75GB
> /home	24.50GB

I usually use just "/", swap and "/home" (home separate so that you can
reinstall the os from scratch and keep /home). I can't think of a good
reason these days to split "/" into several partitions - old timers
might remember that things like /tmp would go into a separate partition,
what I fuzzily remember are concerns about /tmp filling up the whole
root partition otherwise, and the potential for a hung computer...

-- Fernando