[PlanetCCRMA] Partitioning a DAW, special?

sevol sevol@inwa.net
Mon Jan 15 10:50:34 2007

Hi,

I'm about to install FC5 + PlanetCCRMA on a laptop & my search for info
about possible special partitioning needs for a Linux DAW hasn't
uncovered anything. This question isn't too rudimentary, I hope. Perhaps
I don't know where to look, but finding nothing to indicate differently
I'm thinking this will be ok:

System Drive
60GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100 (dual boot - 24GB taken by XP)

/	 0.75GB
/usr	 7.00GB
/tmp	 2.00GB
/swap	 1.00GB
/var	 0.75GB
/home	24.50GB

USB External Drive
300GB

/audio	300GB
_______________

To people who know what they're doing, does this arrangement look bad?
Should a separate /boot partition be added? Is there a better way? Have
I somehow escaped reality? Would the /swap drive be faster on my
external drive? (But then, what if the external drive isn't available
because I'm using the laptop without it? Would a /swap partition on both
drives still be a way to go?)

My setup: Dell Precision M60
Mobile Intel Pentium M 2.00GHz; 1024MB (DDR SDRAM); SigmaTel Audio
(onboard audio); PreSonus Firepod; Midiman KeyStation

Suggestions, help, comments or relevant links? Anything, please,

							underwater