[PlanetCCRMA] New laptop and FC6+CCRMA: Jack stops all by itself?

Mon Jan 15 10:46:04 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 12:57 +0000, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope you can help.
> My new laptop arrived on Friday and promptly removed the useless OS on
> it and installed FC6 and Planet CCRMA - my previous CCRMA experience
> was with FC5 so I hope I wasn't being too hasty. The laptop is an Dell
> Inspiron 9400 and I installed the 32 bit FC6.
>
> When I start Jack with Qjackctl, it starts and almost immediately
> shuts down. If I use amsynth or hydrogen w/o Jack, I get a lot of
> clicks.
>
> I am running the stock kernel - I don't know from where I would get
> the real-time kernel (I know there isn't one available from Planet
> CCRMA right at the moment) - I am a SuSE/Debian sysadmin/developer on
> my daytime job, we hardly use any RedHat products therefore most of my
> RedHat knowledge is from Redhat 9 days - far too out of date probably,
> I wouldn't know where the experimental (rawhide?) SRPMs reside these
> days. :-)
>
> Anyway, here's the Jack's output (I tried with 44100 and 48000 Herts
> without any difference - I wouldn't know what else to tinker with:
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
> 12:50:25.235 Server configuration saved to "/home/hakank/.jackdrc".
> 12:50:25.236 Statistics reset.
> 12:50:25.244 Client activated.
> 12:50:25.245 Audio connection change.
> 12:50:25.252 Audio connection graph change.
> 12:50:25.291 XRUN callback (1).
> 12:50:27.256 XRUN callback (39 skipped).
> jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
> 12:50:28.138 Shutdown notification.
> 12:50:28.140 Client deactivated.
> 12:50:28.142 JACK was stopped successfully.
> zombified - calling shutdown handler
> cannot send request type 7 to server
> cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)
> cannot send request type 7 to server
> cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)

Hmmm, what soundcard do you have? It looks like (probably) it is not
generating interrupts properly, jack does not execute and the watchdog
timer eventually kills it.

Are you able to hear sound from other apps when not using jack?

Another parameter you could try is changing the number of periods to 3
or 4, I've had success with cards that apparently don't like to have
just 2 of them.

-- Fernando