[PlanetCCRMA] FC6, Planet CCRMA, nVidia, Compiz . . . [blink!] seems to work!

linkx link@sumerianbabyl.com
Thu Jan 11 13:57:00 2007

------=_Part_785_24304527.1168552456638

So I decided to try out the bleeding edge of audio OSS and UI candy: FC6 with
the new CCRMA packages, all running in the snazzy Compiz GL desktop. Yes, I
am crazy, and I am aware that all this is very very cutting edge and thus
very risky.

After following 'Nando's instructions in
http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrmanews/2006-November/000047.html
this post , including the bottom part, I was able to get JACK and (drum
roll) Ardour2 running without any xruns on my Delta 1010LT.

After installing the nVidia modules from linva according to
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#nVidia this
guide , I tried to System > Preferences > Desktop Effects > Enable desktop
effects only to have some very strange bugs crawl all over my X server! A
bit of xorg.conf hacking and I tried again: beautiful! I can now place
Ardour2 editor on one side of my cube, qjackctl on another, Hydrogen on
another, Ardour mixer and Envy24Control on another . . . then make them
transparent and switch them in all sorts of fancy 3d ways.

Some may say this is useless eye candy, but it is actually very useful and
functional, especially on Planet CCRMA, where we have a surplus of
simultaneous windows and mixers and panels OH MY! I expected all sorts of
problems with realtime, xruns, interface crapouts, etc. There seems to be
NONE! Everything works great.

This may be the straw that breaks the camel's back: I can imagine many
Macheads seeing Ardour2 translucently spanned across several sides of a 3D
cube, saying "WTF? I can run this on my MacBook Pro?! What the HELL am I
doing with ProFools and OSex? WHAT? It's all FREE? GIMME GIMME!"

If anyone wants to try this and needs help with Compiz, nVidia and
xorg.conf, reply or email me.

Here's a preliminary  http://www.sumerianbabyl.com/images/myface/compiz2.png
screenshot  of this crazyness!

~Link