[PlanetCCRMA] artsd starting up and blocking Jack?

linuxmedia4@netscape.net linuxmedia4@netscape.net
Sun Jan 7 13:00:03 2007

hakan.koseoglu@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it normal to have Artsd running and blocking Jackd all the time? To
> get anything going, I have to kill artsd and then start jack (via
> qjackctl) which gets annoying after a while.

I think you can set qjackctl to kill arts (or any progam) somehow.
Probably by "Execute script on Startup:" via the Options Tab, but I'm
not sure because I've never used it.

If you're running the KDE Desktop, then arts is the default sound
server. You can shut it off by going to...
Main Menu --> Control Center --> Sound & Multimedia --> Sound System -->
(un)check "Enable the sound system"

You can have it completly unallowable to start it by all users on the
system by putting the following entry in /usr/share/config/kcmartsrc'...

[Arts]
StartServer[$i]=false

I notice that artsd gets started by other programs anyways... like
'Noatun' and possibly others.

Rocco