[PlanetCCRMA] Chronic System Freezes

Bill Polhemus bill@polhemus.cc
Sat Jan 6 11:08:01 2007

<head>
</head>
SYSTEM:<br>
Homebrew PC with:<br>
<a
 href="http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&amp;l2=15&amp;l3=148&amp;model=539&amp;modelmenu=1">ASUS
A8N-SLI Mobo</a> With "Cool-Pipe" (liquid-cooled) technology (the fan
just NEVER turns on)<br>
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 Dual-Core Processor<br>
2GB DDR2 Memory (4-512MB DIMMs, cannot recall make or designation)<br>
2-160GB Western Digital SATA HDs, configured as a single 16GB /boot
partion and the rest as an LVM volume as set up by Anaconda<br>
M-Audio Delta 66 PCI Audio Interface card<br>
<a
 href="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7951638&amp;type=product&amp;id=1152836575674">BFG
3DFuzion NVidia GeForce 6200 LE PCI Express Graphics Card</a>
Running FC5 with up-to-date PlanetCCRMA packages including the latest
kernel.<br>
I'm running the GNOME desktop. I also have an <a
 href="http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOKEYSTAT49">M-Audio Keystation
49e MIDI keyboard controller</a> hooked up through USB.<br>
Several times now since I've had the system up and running (about two
weeks), the system has just "frozen up" in a very un-Linux-like manner.
Everything just stops. I have left it sitting overnight, hoping that it
would come unstuck somehow over time, but it appears to be a permanent
session-death. I have to to a hardware-reboot (which I hate to do on a
Linux system) to get it back up and running.<br>
I have the following questions:<br>
1) Any ideas as to why this is happening?<br>
2) Where might I be able to find information (e.g. log entries) that
might help me pinpoint the cause?<br>
3) What are some recommendations for other diagnostic measures?<br>
BTW, all the above components are new, except for two of the memory
DIMMs, which are a few months old. There shouldn't be any "memory
incompatibility problems" as I have the DIMMs in separate banks, but
if, say, the memory specs ARE different between banks, could that be
the culprit?<br>
Thanks.<br>