[PlanetCCRMA] fc6_64 stuff and requests

Thu Jan 4 09:54:01 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 10:37 +0000, BJaY wrote:
> I played around with fc6_64 and the planet packages and found a problem with
> freeverb3. Many of my projects use this plugin and bypassing it (host =
> ardour) reduced cpu from about 95% to about 10%. Looks like a 64bit issue -
> is this what a de-norm problem looks like ?

It is hogging up 95% even when signal is sent through it? If that is the
case then it should not be a denormal problem (that would only happen
when a signal slowly decays to zero).

> I'm using an AMD Athlon64 3200+.

That's much less prone to denormal cpu usage spikes than the Intel
processors (at the P4 family was the worst I've seen in that respect).

> Also, any chance of having cinelerra for fc5/6 and perhaps a build of
> ardour2 too look at ? Also, I always end up hunting around for xmms-jack and
> this seems to belong with the other audio packages.

I have not done xmms-jack yet.

Ardour2 should not be a problem, I did a trial build just to look at it
(looks nice!) and it can coexist with plain ardour - you only have to be
away that sessions done in ardour2 will not load in plain ardour.

Cinelerra I don't know about, have not built it in a long time. At some
point Freshrpms had it available.

-- Fernando