[PlanetCCRMA] Re: PlanetCCRMA digest, Vol 1 #1915 - 13 msgs

Jonathan Segel jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com
Mon Jan 1 17:32:03 2007

On Dec 31, 2006, at 7:07 PM, planetccrma-request@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 18:18 -0800, Jonathan Segel wrote:
>> so i went back to trying to make an fc6 partition on my laptop. it's
>> weird. fc6 seems to work on my desktop machine (for the most part)
>> but on the laptop there is no alsa! i mean no /dev/dsp or /dev/snd,
>> no /proc/asound, no pcm anything. no /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound.
>> doesn't exist.
>>   alsa can't do anything without knowing where to go. is this an
>> alsa-1.0.12 issue?
>
> Hard to know. What sort of chipset or sound card do you have? Do
> you see
> any audio messages in the output of dmesg during the boot process?
> What
> does /sbin/lspci see in your pci bus?
>
> -- Fernando

oh boy. well, for any card. lspci shows the intel8x0 and the xilinx
hdsp thing, but dmesg ahs a ton of probs insmodding. every snd module
has an error showing unknown symbol . there is one telling dmesg,
snd: version magic '2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 SMP mod unload 686 REGPARM
4KSTACKS gcc-4.1'
should be '2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 SMP mod unload 586 REGPARM 4KSTACKS
gcc-4.1'

this is my old p3 1.1ghz laptop....
Jonathan Segel                 4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
jsegel-magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite-yahoo.com