[PlanetCCRMA] Restarting ALSA on FC6

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Mon Jan 1 12:36:01 2007

On Saturday 23 December 2006 18:46, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For ages now I've had a problem with my laptop's soundcard whereby I
> have to restart alsa before I can hear anything.  I've just upgraded
> to Fedora Core 6 but `/sbin/service alsasound restart' doesn't work
> anymore (it says "alsasound: unrecognized service").  Is there another
> way to restart sound on FC6?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nathaniel

If you have the planetccrma kernel, and kernel-modules-alsa for that kernel
installed you should have an alsasound script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound.
The commands are.
/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
and
/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start

With just the Fedora kernels in FC5, and FC6 there is no way to restart alsa,
apart from rebooting. I have planetccrma on one of my FC5 installs, and the
alsasound script is there. I can now stop and start alsa even when booted up
from one of the Fedora kernels.

I don't have FC6 yet, so don't know if anything has changed.

All the best.

Nigel.