[PlanetCCRMA] creating movie suitable for editing in Cinelerra

Tom Poe tompoe@fngi.net
Mon Feb 19 08:16:01 2007

Using Audacity to record a sound track is a project in itself.  I'm sure
there are as many ways to accomplish the same goals with command line
tools as there are command line tools.  A GUI interface hides a lot, and
gives a wider audience participation, I think.  In my case, it seemed
indispensible.  :)

The next baby step for me, was to explore the possibilities of creating
.png images that would accompany my .ogg recording sound track, and
combine the audio and video in a format that would be able to be opened
in video editing GUI applications.  After some effort, I used the
following commands to create a .avi file, then convert that into a .mpg
file, which seems to be able to be opened in Cinelerra for editing:

$ mencoder mf://*.png -mf w=320:h=240:fps=1:type=png -ovc copy
-audiofile Open_Studios_theme.ogg -oac copy -o done1.avi

$ mencoder done1.avi -o VCD.mpg -ofps 25 -vf scale=352:288,harddup -of
lavf -lavfopts
format=mpg:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -oac
lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=224 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg1video:vrc_buf_size=327:keyint=15:vrc_maxrate=1152:vbitrate=1152:vmax_b_frames=0
This takes avi file and converts to VCD.mpg

I'm really foggy about what packages I needed to install in order to get
the project completed.  I know I needed to use yum on my FC5 system with
CCRMA.  I know I needed Gimp or Xaralx to create the images.  I know I
needed MPlayer for playback of audio and video components.  I know I
needed Cinelerra for editing the finished movie.  What other
applications/packages did I need?  I'm trying to compile a list to share
with others that could be fashioned into a HowTo.  I confess that I made
a real mess as I tried to discover how to start with one image, and turn
that into a one minute movie.  I ended up installing and uninstalling,
searching for options, and getting lost in the details, sidetracked to
unrelated information this last weekend.

Does anyone have, first, an idea that those two commands are all that's
needed to combine an audio track and images to create a movie?  Second,
is there a better way to produce a proper file that can be opened in
Cinelerra or other video editing application?  Third, what yum package
combination from planetccrma would be necessary?
Thanks, Tom