[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [PlanetCCRMANews] For Newbie: Better to use Fedora 7? ISO respins for Fedora 7?

Wed Dec 19 15:47:01 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 09:46 +1100, Nicholas Manojlovic wrote:
> I get those hard-hangs too. Seemingly random, although I occaisonaly
> get them with the standard Fedora kernel too. I recently had a power
> supply failure, so not sure if my RAM or other components are
> vulnerable. Anyone got any advice on how to de-bug these complete
> freezes? I've got another computer with SSH, so thats an option.

What I have done in the past is to use the serial console. You need a
serial port on both computers, the computer under observation is set to
boot to use the serial port as the console (done through a kernel boot
line argument, for example "console=ttyS0,38400").

Then you have a second computer with a terminal emulator capturing the
output of the first while it boots and works. Kernel panics or things
like that will be output on the serial port and can be captured on the
destination terminal emulator, you can also do a <alt><sysrq>t to echo a
trace of all processes which could then be posted with a cry for help to
the linux kernel mailing list and Ingo :-)

A pain...

There's also a network option called netconsole but I don't know much
about that.

-- Fernando