[PlanetCCRMA] some question to use CCRMA repository correctly and some generic question purpose system management

Fri Dec 14 15:45:02 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 20:44 +0100, ^[H3ad-Tr1p]^ wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I'm writing to you because I need some elucidation to manage your very good
> repos for my Fedora 8 x86_64 , your patched kernel and your compiled software
> that I would install on my system
>
> I usually install software from official fedora and update repos then from
> livna repos,and I had installed some software that I have found also on ccrma
>
> My question to manage software from your repos is that, whereas I have already
> installed some application like ardour,jack,kino,hydrogen ecc ecc from
> livna,

Ardour, jack and hydrogen come directly from Fedora.

> and whereas I have added confguration file for yum ( and I have tested
> it and it is working correctly ) ,I don't know if ,for exemple ,ardour that
> is already installed ,I can upgrading it from your repository correctly or
> I'll find two application with the same name but first ardour installed from
> livna and second installed from ccrma

Some of the Planet CCRMA applications have migrated to the Fedora
repositories, one example is Ardour. So there will be (should not be)
any conflict between the Fedora and Planet CCRMA repositories (and Livna
also).

> If you say that I can upgrade every my software already installed from your
> repos I can go on to do this tomorrow

It should be possible to have all three repositories enabled at the same
time. If you find a problem please let us know.

> Another thing is support to install fglrx driver for your kernel that I don't
> know yet if it is possible do that

It should be possible but I have not tried to rebuild for the realtime
kernels. You should get the source rpm package from Livna for the fglrx
driver and try to rebuild it for the Planet CCRMA kernel.

> Then I would like to know if in your kernel there is already installed driver
> for firewire and usb audio card or how I must to go on for this way

The proper drivers are available in the kernel itself. For firewire
cards that are supported Fedora provides the necessary libfreebob
libraries. Of course not all usb and firewire cards are supported. Usb
card support is handled through ALSA, firewire through Freebob and the
kernel.

-- Fernando