[PlanetCCRMA] Fitful Audio

Stephen Carl scarl at sewanee.edu
Thu Dec 13 09:56:02 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 3:36 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 16:48 -0600, scarl@sewanee.edu wrote:
>>  * Snd (no jack), no audio

This was my mistake;  I think when I used Snd last it was not
jack-enabled, but it is now and I have audio output.

>>  * Common Music generating a midi file (no jack) with playing
>> enabled, no
>> audio
>
> I don't know what default player Common Music is trying to use.

Turns out it wants Timidity, which was not in the distribution that I
saw.  I just worked through the list of MIDI apps, trying to find
something
that would work.  In the end I downloaded and built the stable version
of Timidity (no jack) and now I have output here as well.  Thanks
for the clarification on the various MIDI apps.  However:

>>  * Rosegarden, no audio (QjackCtl shows it connected)

This is still true no matter what type of file I load.  The example
files that come with Rosegarden do not produce audio, and I get a
pop-up box
saying that audio is unavailable and all audio will go to /dev/null.
This happens even though jack is running and Qjackctl shows
Rosegarden connected to outputs.

Also, if I select the option in Rosegarden's preferences to start Jack
automatically it continues to give me that message and another saying
Jack is not running.  But jack does start, though perhaps not fast
enough to satisfy Roseg?

-spc

---o0o---o0o---
Stephen P. Carl, Assistant Professor