[PlanetCCRMA] [Planet CCRMA] : New apps

Wed Dec 12 09:16:01 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 13:05 +0100, Mysth-R wrote:

> 2007/12/12, Mysth-R <mysthr21@gmail.com>:
>
>                 Well, now I remember. I think I have tried mixxx
>                 before and could not
>                 make it work. In my f7 laptop it starts (either
>                 1.5.0.1 or 1.4.2), shows
>                 its gui or part of it and promptly kills the video in
>                 the machine, the
>                 desktop background changes color and then goes black,
>                 cursor appears
>                 every once in a while with freezes in between and so
>                 far the only way
>                 out is a reboot. The audio support is done through
>                 portaudio (not good),
>                 and if I try to start it with jack running it just
>                 segfaults. Overall
>                 does not look very usable but I'm sure others are
>                 using it, so I wonder
>                 what could be wrong with the build or the
>                 environment...
>
>                 -- Fernando
>
>         hehe, in fact I tried to compile it too but I got the same
>         segfaults error with JACK. And with ALSA I got no sounds. But
>         I never freezed.
>         I thought you would be better than me to compile and to make
>         it work... :D hehe
>         I remember using Mixxx on Ubuntu last year and it works
>         perfectly. Perhaps it is an issue with a library. I should
>         write to the developers to ask some help, or ticks to make it
>         work.
>

> There is a binary on their website :
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mixxx/mixxx-1.5.0.1-linux.tar.bz2?download
> have you tried it ?
>
> ./install.pl
>
> and then you have two way to run it :
>
> ./mixxx or ./mixxx-with-jack
>
> In the first case, I can run the soft, but when I select ALSA output,
> it segfault. See in the manual :
>
> "ALSA (Linux)
> Support for the ALSA sound API is preliminary, and should be
> considered ALPHA.
> ALSA has to be enabled at compile time, hereafter, you have to make a
> special device
> that Mixxx can use. Take a look at the file README.ALSA supplied with
> Mixxx."

Looks like it really needs a multichannel card or special alsa plugin
magic to make things work. Not a good user friendly design but well, the
price is right, right? :-)

Maybe that's why it was segfaulting when I tried to use it with Jack, my
laptop only has stereo output and maybe it is assuming it _will_ find
more channels and not checking for errors.

> In the second case I got :
>
> "mixxx-with-jack: error while loading shared libraries:
> libjack-0.100.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory"
> I can't find libjack in repositories... is it an oversight ?

Nope, that binary was compiled in a debian system (probably) with the
well known "we do it different here" naming of the libjack shared
library. It is not compatible with anything else.

You could try to create a symlink in /usr/lib that points to the real
shared library:

----
  cd /usr/lib
  ln -s libjack.so.0 libjack-0.100.0.so.0