[PlanetCCRMA] ZynAddSubFX problems still unresolved on F7/F8 with KDE

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Dec 11 12:05:02 2007

On Saturday 24 November 2007 19:10, Mysth-R wrote:
> here you are, if you want to compare my zyntrace.txt, with yours. See the
> attached file. You should use kompare, to compare the two files. :D
> good luck.
>
> Mysth-R
>
> 2007/11/24, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu>:
> > >
> > > Hi. First I created a new user as Fernando had suggested, but the
> >
> > problem
> >
> > > still exists.
> >
> > [MUNCH]
> >
> > > This is really weird, as you say that you have no problems with Zyn on
> >
> > F8, and
> >
> > > KDE. I asked the same ? a while back, and Fernando said he had no
> >
> > problems
> >
> > > with it on Gnome, so I logged out of F7 KDE, and logged back into
> > > Gnome,
> >
> > and
> >
> > > Zyn performed as expected, no problems, which is why I thought it was
> >
> > some
> >
> > > problem with KDE on F7, and now F8.
> >
> > Puzzling.
> > What video card and driver are you using in the machine that fails?
> >
> > Maybe you could strace zyn and that may (unlikely) tell us something.
> > You can do (if using bash as the shell):
> >
> >   strace zynaddsubfx &>zyntrace.txt
> >
> > And then quit zyn after the problem manifests itself. The trace will be
> > very long (it is a trace of all system calls that the executable makes).
> > Maybe you could compare it with one from the systems that work fine.
> > Unlikely we'll know what's going on but worth a try.
> >
> > -- Fernando

An update on this problem with ZynAddSubFX on F7, And F8 using KDE. I posted a
bugreport for it, and Anthony Green suggested it may be a problem with fltk.

So I removed fltk-1.1.8-0.4.r5750.fc8.i386.rpm, along with Zyn from Fedora 8.
mThen installed fltk_1.1.7-1.fc5_i386.rpm, followed by reinstalling Zyn.

Now ZynAddSubFx is working ok on Fedora 8, and I expect the same procedure
will work on Fedora 7.

As Anthony Green suspected, it appears to be an fltk problem, but only with
some graphics cards perhaps, as you "Mysth-R" have said that Zyn is working
ok on KDE for you.

This is just an update, and now back to bugzilla.

Nigel.