[PlanetCCRMA] Re: any hints for realtime algorithmic composing environment?

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Tue Dec 4 04:31:01 2007

"Matthew Barber":

> Hello
>
> Would not supercollider itself fulfill your demands, as an algorithmic
> composition tool, event generator, event interpreter, front-end, and
> sound-maker, in an emacs environment with gui-building capabilities?

Hmm, Smalltalk is very nice, but not a functional language.

> PD would be a functional (if not optimal) option, too, but of course that's
> graphical programming, which doesn't seem to be what you're into -- however,
> you can build your own text-based algorithmic event interpreters in PD.  As
> far as I know PD can communicate with supercollider, and there are libraries
> for loading csound orchestras (csoundapi).  Its gui-building capabilities
> are obvious.

Thats a possibility. Snd can be compiled as a PD external, which
means that PD can be controlled with scheme:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/grfsnd.html#sndwithpd

The problem doing that is Guile's garbage collector. There exist
some patches for Guile to use Hans Boehms garbage collector
instead though, which has far better soft realtime performance.
If you manage to get snd/pd and guile/hbgc to run, that
might be an acceptable solution.