[PlanetCCRMA] any hints for realtime algorithmic composing environment?

joakim@verona.se joakim at verona.se
Mon Dec 3 01:53:00 2007

Hello,

I'm looking for some kind of environment to explore simple realtime
algorithmic composition.

It should preferably have these properties:

- good emacs integration

- use a functional language like a lisp dialect, or ocaml or haskell,
preferably not some home-brew language

- be able to schedule real time midi(or osc) messages

- I should be able to make a midi filter that receives midi messages
and outputs other events based on the incoming events, for instance
like an arpeggiator.

- be able to build some form of guis, but good api:s is much
  more important

- should have an at least semi-alive community

- should be fun to use :)

I dont intend for the system to make noises itself, it should
interface to csound, or supercollider or whatever.

I thought common music might be this environment, but I cant make it
work despite some effort.

So, my question is: what do people use for these sorts of things?

--
Joakim Verona