[PlanetCCRMA] SIIG-USB SoundWave 7.1 Pro

Tue Aug 28 17:15:02 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 19:41 -0400, John Dey wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> Thanks for your response.  The output from the 2 commands are shown
> below.  I should mention that the soundcard has two female jacks: one
> for audio out and the other for mic in.  The audio out has two uses:
> for headphones or for a spdif output cable (optical) that I am
> attaching to a audio receiver.  It is my understanding that that cable
> should carry the 7.1 signal.  When I plug in headphones to receiver
> directly, I hear stereo.  When I plug in the spdif cable and listen to
> the headphone jack on the audio receiver I hear stereo.  I don't have
> speakers connect since they have not been delivered.
>
> John
>
> [root@localhost robo6]# cat /proc/asound/cards
>   0 [default        ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
>                        C-Media USB Headphone Set   at
> usb-0000:00:1d.0-2, full speed
>   1 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                        HDA Intel at 0xee400000 irq 21
> [root@localhost robo6]# cat /proc/asound/devices
>    2:        : timer
>    3: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
>    4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture

Well, the ALSA driver only sees two devices that correspond to the USB
card, one input and one output. The output, I presume, is the one that
you see when you use jack (and is stereo).

I would be surprised if you could get 7.1 from this card with the usb
ALSA driver. If you fire up alsamixer in a terminal, what do you see in
terms of controls?

Even if you could somehow activate the spdif feature, you would not
actually see 8 discrete channels in the jack window, you would probably
have to have a Dolby Digital encoder that would translate 8 channels at
_its_ input into a digital compressed stream that you would then feed to
the card, somehow.

Sorry to not have better news...
-- Fernando