[PlanetCCRMA] IPW Wireless card

Fri Aug 3 10:04:02 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 09:05 +0200, "Alexander Carôt" wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running FC 6 Planetccrma successfully on a Sony VAIO now - in
> fact all is good except my wireless card ipw3945.
> In terms of installation I followed the first comment in this link :
>
> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=144510&page=2&pp=15
>
> Now it is obvious that the card only works with other kernals
> than the CCRMA-kernel. With the CCRMA-kernel the device is not
> recognized.
>
> Can anyone tell what the problem might be ? One general question :
> Is it of importance, unde which gernel RPMs are installed ?

dkms kernel modules automatically build modules for the booting kernel
if they are not already available. So it should not matter. There must
be something happening when dkms tries to build the kernel module for
the rt kernel - do you see anything that might be related
in /var/log/messages?

The latest Planet CCRMA kernels for fc6/7 do have an additional ipw3945
kernel module you could try out (works for me in a Lenovo laptop). You
will need to:

  yum install kmod-ipw3945-rt
  yum install ipw3945-firmware ipw3945d

Maybe you should also remove the dkms packages you installed.

-- Fernando