[PlanetCCRMA] m-audio quattro again

Juan I Reyes juanig@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Apr 10 09:32:02 2007

So I decided to put my M-Audio Quattro out of the closet and have fun
with ALSA again. To my surprise it is still operational (I had not used
it since FC-2).  It works with Jack amd ALSA on FC-6 kernel:
2.6.20-0119.rt8.3.fc6.ccrmart #1 SMP PREEMPT

Following Fernando's instructions for configuring additional cards, I
added 'snd-usb-audio' in modprobe.conf:

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1

Then I copied '.asoundrc ' to my $HOME directory form Patrick Shirkey email at:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Midiman%2FMAudio&card=USB+Audio+Quattro.&chip=&module=usb-audio

After this I have to restart ALSA with '/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound
restart' or simply reboot the machine.

The only nontrivial trick is on 'Qjackctl / setup / interface'.

In order to obtain the q4 setup on '.asoundrc' with Qjackctl on setup /
Interface I had to manually enter 'q4'. Frames/Period needs to be 1024
because the Quattro doesn't like lower values. Periods/Buffer,  I left
it as 2.

Since electro-acoustic composers work against the flow, the setup I used
for Audio was 'Playback  Only' and output channels to 4. The other
default parameters in setup ,I left them "as is". I imagine if I can get
four discrete channels of output, the reverse is true and therefore I
might be able to get four channels of input. What needs to be tested is
four channels of I/O, but I am not so sure USB 1.x has this kind of
bandwidth. Thus I don't feel so excited about doing this kind of duplex
test on the Quattro.

 --* Juan Reyes