[PlanetCCRMA] Why doesn't Audacity use jack in CCRMA?

Sun Apr 8 15:06:00 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 16:14 -0400, Jason Russler wrote:
> I dunno, but when I try to set the Fedora Extras build of Audacity to
> use JACK it crashes both jackd and Audacity.  Could be an x86_64 thing
> or it could be the reason that CCRMA doesn't build in JACK support.

Audacity currently comes from Fedora Extras, not the Planet CCRMA repo
(ie: I'm not currently building it). Most probably (I have not looked)
the packager is not using a newer version of portaudio with better Jack
support as I used to do - if that's the case it would probably qualify
as a bug to report to Fedora's bugzilla.

In any case support for Jack through portaudio is pretty lousy (for
example you can only "connect" to another Jack client using the
Preferences menu, and you can only see clients that had already started
when Audacity was launched, very lame). Audacity sorely needs a native
Jack audio backend...

-- Fernando