[PlanetCCRMA] Re: fc5 repo (was fc3...?)

Fri Sep 15 10:34:00 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 19:18 -0700, Jonathan Segel wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> >> ckage snd-gtk and libgsl.so.0 is needed by package snd-gtk
> >
> > What files do you see in /etc/yum.repo.d/? You should also have the
> > standard files that are installed by default when you install fc5.
> >
> > What's the content of the planetccrma repo file?
>
> i only had the planetccrma.repo in the /yum.repo.d/, i had moved all
> the fedora-core ones to a /NOT directory, as the yum updater always
> wanted to add a bunch more stuff than i needed!

Some of that stuff could be important (security updates and so on and so
forth). Obviously you could skip them if you are the only user of the
machine and it is properly firewalled and you like risk :-)

> which ones should i
> use for normal operation within planetccrma?
>
> the planetccrma.repo contains planetcore, planetextras, planetos,
> planetupdates.

By default planetos and planetupdates are disabled in the
planetccrma.repo file (expecting that the normal mirrored repositories
in the standard files would be there). Change that to "enable=1" for
both and gsl should be picked up all right. Or readd the other files...

> > "gsl" is in the base repository (ie: it is part of the original fc5
> > dvd), so it should be installable after a default install. You
> > should be
> > able to do a "yum install gsl", if that does not work then you are
> > missing the base or core repository (some packages will also depend on
> > the extras repository so you have to have that enabled as well).
> >
> >> what's even weirder is that i just cvs'd the gsl, and installed,
> >> ldconfig and it still gives me this.
> >
> > Most probably you installed to /usr/local and the linker is not
> > configured to look there. Try to find what that installer installed
> > and
> > erase it... otherwise it may give you problems when you install the
> > proper gsl package.
>

> yes, it's in /usr/local/lib/ but my .bashrc has all that in
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH, (echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH lists it correctly.) i assume
> that the linker you are referring to is a yum linker?

No, it is the system dynamic linker, nothing to do with
PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

> can i change that?

You can but would recommend against doing that, no real reason for it.
Erase what was installed in /usr/local and install the normal gsl
package. In general and unless there are very good reasons for it, it is
best to install rpm packages than trying to build and install your won
"by hand". Mixing rpm packages and normal "from source" installs for the
same software is asking for trouble sooner or later.

> yum is a lot slower than apt, it seems. after every operation it
> takes a while to rebuild its database.

-- Fernando