[PlanetCCRMA] midi keyboard and rosegarden

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Sat Sep 2 08:30:02 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 15:52, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> I am trying to connect a midi keyboard to rosegarden through jack. I
> can't seem to get it right. Anybody have a good link or something?
> I have a soundblaster card ES1371 with mpu-401 on a 3ghz smp box with
> the real time kernel and FC5. My keyboard is a MD500 from radio shack.
> I don't have a clue of how to go about it. I have read the Rosegarden
> manual but I can't seem to catch the beginning of what to do.
> Please help me.

Hi Gilles.  I don't know if you've fixed this by now. Apart from the
Rosegarden problem, does the keyboard work ok on your Linux box, playing it
through ZynAddSubFx for instance? If it isn't you can install Kmidimon from
planetccrma, and can make the connection from your keyboard using Qjackctl.
this will show if midi events are being sent to the machine, and then you can
mess with settings on the keyboard until you get some output showing on
Kmidimon.

Ok. Presuming that the keyboard is playing sounds using ZynAddSubFx, or
whatever, the next problem is the soundcard. Most soundcards are not capable
of hardware mixing.  On my other machine I have an Audigy2 soundblaster,
which is capable.  All I have to do here is to load the soundfont which is on
the CDROM which came with the card, tell Rosegarden to load the soundfont,
and give it the path to the soundfont. So the sequence of events is. First
start Qjackctl, then Rosegarden. Qjackctl shows Rosegardens audio connections
made, and in the midi connections my keyboard is shown connected to
Rosegarden.  When I play some notes on the keyboard they are shown over the
"1" on track one, and I can record the keyboard on Rosegarden.

Moving on to cards not capable of hardware mixing, like your SB16 (ens1371),
and my Ensoniq (1371). The workaround here is to use a softsynth like Qsynth.
It needs a soundfont loading onto it, but you can get those from.
http://www.hammersound.net/  , and other places on the Internet. DL a GM
(general midi) one. Put it in your /home/user directory, open Qsynth and load
the soundfont.  Next. Open Qjackctl, and start Rosegarden. In Qjackctl
Rosegardens audio connections are made, and your keyboard should be connected
in the midi section. Make a connection in the midi section from your keyboard
to Qsynth. Don't break the connection from your keyboard to Rosegarden.

Now back to Rosegarden, left click on the first track, choose "MIDI soft
synth" and click on #1. You should now be able to play the midi keyboard and
hear some sounds, and also be able to record them.

I'm not too clued up on making music on Rosegarden, so probably can't help
with that. I started off on Linux wanting to make music, but have got
seriously distracted.

Nigel.