[PlanetCCRMA] audio to midi?

Jonathan Segel jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com
Mon Oct 30 11:06:01 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Paul Coccoli wrote:

> On 10/24/06, jonathan segel <jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com> wrote:

>> linux? i
>> >
>> > Audio-to-Midi conversion is a job that is close to impossible.
>> > Trying it anyway is an interesting exercise for programmers and
>> > technicians. But if you want to do musically useful things with it:
>> > forget it. It's practically impossible to convert complex audio
>> > material into MIDI. The best way (in my view the ONLY way) to
>> > convert Audio to MIDI is the musicians way: Listen to the audio
>> > track many times, reconstruct the score note by note using trained
>> > ears, enter it in a sequencer, and save it as MIDI file.
>>
>> actually that's not what i'm after. i'm after the imperfections that
>> an impossible process spits out. much more interesting.
>>

> Try aubio (not in the planet - google it).  Use aubionotes.  You'll
> get imperfections.
>
> I've only tried it on bass guitar; you don't mention your source
> material.  My results pretty much sound like randomly generated music.

great i'll try it! thanks. i knew there would be something.

just for informational purpose, my source material is chant from Noh
theatre, i'm working with a modern Noh theatre group (Theatre of
Yugen) and i want to generate music that has *some* bearing on
traditional stuff, but extremely abstracted!

Jonathan Segel                 4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite@yahoo.com