[PlanetCCRMA] recording and latency with ardour

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli@gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 06:59:02 2006

On 10/12/06, Roy Vestal <rvestal@trilug.org> wrote:
> Followup question:
>
> When I start recording in a session, the channel i'm recording doesn't
> play...however, it does record?!?!?!?
>
> Where do I start troubleshooting this?
>
> Jason Russler wrote:
> > With that hardware, you shouldn't have to many problems on the
> > software side maintaining a very small buffer for JACK, so software
> > latency should be minimal.  That said, I'd check with the Ardour list
> > since there are a lot of users there that may already be doing
> > something similar (a lot of them are on this list too I imagine - I am).
> >
> > On 10/11/06, *Roy Vestal* <vestal@trilug.org
> > <mailto:vestal@trilug.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     I'm working on my first project with Ardour instead of ProTools. I
> >     want
> >     to be able to record while playing back...i have a headphone
> >     monitor and
> >     would like to be able to record live, say vocals and piano (in
> >     stereo)
> >     while using a scratch track and hydrogen as a click track (bug in jack
> >     seems to prevent using click in ardour).
> >
> >     I'm looking at hardware monitoring vs software monitoring for
> >     this. I'm
> >     trying to understand how envy24ctl can be used to control my
> >     output in
> >     realtime.
> >
> >     Here's my setup:
> >
> >     FC5/CCRMA/Delta1010/AMD Sempron 3000+ with 512MB RAM
> >     QJackCtl/JACK-Rack/Envy24Ctl
> >     Ardour/Hydrogen
> >
> >     First 8 inputs to Ardour 1-8 (respectively)
> >     Ardour outputs to Ardour Master Outs
> >     Master Outs to outputs 1 and 2 (L/R respectively)
> >     Aux 1 to headphone amp Left
> >     Aux 2 to headphone amp Right
> >
> >     My ideas:
> >     1: My board has TRS Send/Receive Inserts on each channel. Set each
> >     input
> >     directly back to the output, as well as Ardour and not use the Master
> >     Out during recording, but for playback
> >
> >     2: route all inputs to Envy24Ctl as well as Ardour, and route
> >     Envy24Ctl
> >     outs (stereo) to outputs 1 and 2 on the board.
> >
> >     Do either of these sound correct/feesable to get rid of any
> >     latency for
> >     recording?
> >
> >     Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
> >     Roy

Roy,

There's nothing to troubleshoot.  With M-Audio hardware, you want to
use hardware monitoring in Ardour.  I think you're doing that already.
 To hear what you're recording in your monitor mix, use envy24control.
 They key is the patchbay tab: select "monitor mix" or whatever it's
called as the source for a pair of HW outs, and physically connect
those to your headphone amp.

Now use the envy24control's monitor mixer to set up you headphone mix.
 The interface is a little weird at first, but you'll figure it out.
Unmute the PCM channels that the Ardour Master Outs are connected to,
and set their levels with the sliders.  Do the same for the HW Ins (I
think you have to scroll to the right to see the HW ins, IIRC).  Mix
to taste.

As for setting up your external mixing board, I think I would use the
inserts.  For example, connect a mic to the board's channel 1 and use
an insert (Y) cable to send the signal to the Delta's analog in 1 and
receive the signal back from Delta's analog out 1.  Then make sure you
select HW in 1 as the source for HW out 1 in the envy24control
patchbay.

This type of setup should be described in the Delta manual.
envy24control is very similar to the Windows/Mac mixer program shipped
with the Delta and described in the manual.

Hope that helps,
paul