[PlanetCCRMA] FC5 xruns

Mon May 29 13:28:01 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 15:08 -0500, Link Swanson wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2006 1:37 pm, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 13:20 -0500, Link Swanson wrote:
> >> I recently upgraded a my FC4 CCRMA system, which ran free of xruns, to
> >> FC5, and now I get loads of xruns when running jack.
> >>
> >> I am running an HDSP Multiface and my motherboard sound is disabled.
> >>
> >> I'm a big noob so all help is welcome. Thanks
> >>
> >> Here is some JACK output:
> >>
> >> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> >> cannot lock down memory for jackd (Cannot allocate memory)
> >> Enhanced3DNow! detected
> >> SSE2 detected
> >> apparent rate = 44100
> >> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> >> control device hw:0
> >> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> >> nperiods = 2 for capture
> >> nperiods = 2 for playback
> >> JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
> >> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 72) [for thread
> >> -1229542496, from thread -1229542496] (1: Operation not permitted)
> >> cannot
> >> use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 62) [for thread
> >> -1240032352, from thread -1240032352] (1: Operation not permitted)
> >> 12:46:32.385 Server configuration saved to "/home/bozone/.jackdrc".
> >> 12:46:32.386 Statistics reset.
> >> 12:46:32.387 Client activated.
> >> 12:46:32.388 Audio connection change.
> >> 12:46:32.389 Audio connection graph change.
> >> Enhanced3DNow! detected
> >> SSE2 detected
> >> cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
> >> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 61) [for thread
> >> -1211110496, from thread -1211110496] (1: Operation not permitted)
> >> subgraph starting at qjackctl-2517 timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=11,
> >> status
> >> = 0, state = Triggered)
> >> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.189 msecs
> >> 12:46:32.458 XRUN callback (1).
> >
> > Jack is not running with realtime scheduling and is not locking memory,
> > you _are_ supposed to get xruns :-)
> >
> > How did you install the core Planet CCRMA components in fc5? (kernel,
> > etc). If you installed the meta package ("yum install
> > planetccrma-core-*") you should have a custom version of pam with
> > realtime scheduling and memory locking enabled for non-root users - and
> > the rtirq irq priority reordering startup script. See which version you
> > have ("rpm -q pam"), if it does not have a "rhfc5" in the release field
> > then you need to upgrade it to the Planet CCRMA version.
>
> Thanks Nando! yum install pam did the trick.

Do you have rtirq? ("rpm -q rtirq").

> One more question: I'm using onboard nVidia 6100 graphics and I get a
> "bleedthrough" effect: my sound crackles when I open windows, menus, move
> things accross the screen, etc. This occurs whether I'm using the "nv"
> drivers or the commercial drivers from nVidia. Is there any way I can
> relieve this? I do have another matrox PCI card I can use, but I'd rather
> use the onboard.

Hard to know if it is the video card hogging the bus or is just analog
noise from a bad mobo design. Do you get xruns when that happens? Or is
it just noise?

You may want to take a look at this:
  http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw2.html

You could check the pci latency timers and see if changing the one for
the video card makes any difference.

Also make sure you have rtirq installed and active, it will reorder the
interrupt priorities so that your soundcard has the best chance of
servicing interrupts first.

-- Fernando