[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Running a Dell Inspiron 8100 on a Planet DAW

Matt Barber brbrofsvl@gmail.com
Tue May 16 12:57:00 2006

------=_Part_76555_14948739.1147809364585

Hello,

I am not running an Inspiron 8100, but an Inspiron 8200, just fine.  So far
the only problems that I've faced have been in heavy disk-streaming
situations, where I'm playing multiple soundfiles through pd or some such.
I'm currently using Fedora Core 3 with the planet setup; nearly everything
here is slick and enjoyable.  It does recognize the onboard sound here
(intel8x0), but it's not the best by far.  In the next couple of weeks I'm
going to be helping a buddy install FC3 on his 8100, so I can let you know
how it turns out -- on the 8200, I remember having to install in text-mode
because the xorg drivers for the video card (nvidia) didn't work during the
install.  I can't remember if they worked after the install, but the nvidia
drivers work great.

Matt

Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 23:24:48 +0000
> From: LinuxMedia <linuxmedia4@netscape.net>
> To: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
> Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Running a Dell Inspiron 8100 on a Planet DAW
>
> Greetings,
>
> I spent several days looking through the Plant archives and then googled
> for laptops that run on a Planet setup. The only two that seemed to come
> up are the Sharp MV12W and the Dell Inspiron 8100. And I believe the
> only post about the Dell Inspiron 8100 was from an FC post. Right now I
> can't find a used Sharp MV12W so I will ask about the Dell Inspiron
> 8100...
>
> Could anyone running Planet CCRMA on a Dell Inspiron 8100 tell me the
> following:
>
> What version of FC are you running?
>
> Did your version of FC and Planet install without a hitch and run well?
>
> What tweaking was necessary?
>
> I know built in sound cards are notorious for sounding bad, but I just
> need this laptop so I can get out of the apartment while I test apps and
> put together my Planet DAW. My "production" PC will be at home. I also
> probably can't afford an Audio Interface at this time. Did it recognize
> the built in sound card?
>
> Any response to this post would be appreciated. I'm a bit nervous
> because I had to sell some things to buy a laptop and I just need it to
> work.
>
> Thanks,
> Rocco

------=_Part_76555_14948739.1147809364585

8200, just fine.&nbsp; So far the only problems that I've faced have been i=
n heavy disk-streaming situations, where I'm playing multiple soundfiles th=
rough pd or some such.&nbsp; I'm currently using Fedora Core 3 with the pla=
net setup; nearly everything here is slick and enjoyable.&nbsp; It does rec=
ognize the onboard sound here (intel8x0), but it's not the best by far.&nbs=
p; In the next couple of weeks I'm going to be helping a buddy install FC3 =
on his 8100, so I can let you know how it turns out -- on the 8200, I remem=
ber having to install in text-mode because the xorg drivers for the video c=
ard (nvidia) didn't work during the install.&nbsp; I can't remember if they=
 worked after the install, but the nvidia drivers work great.
rder-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding=
-left: 1ex;">Message: 4<br>Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 23:24:48 +0000<br>From: L=
inuxMedia &lt;
;<br>To: <a href=3D"mailto:planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU">planetccrma@ccrm=
a.Stanford.EDU</a><br>Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Running a Dell Inspiron 8100 o=
n a Planet DAW
chives and then googled<br>for laptops that run on a Planet setup. The only=
 two that seemed to come<br>up are the Sharp MV12W and the Dell Inspiron 81=
00. And I believe the
0...<br><br>Could anyone running Planet CCRMA on a Dell Inspiron 8100 tell =
me the
ersion of FC and Planet install without a hitch and run well?<br><br>What t=
weaking was necessary?<br><br>I know built in sound cards are notorious for=
 sounding bad, but I just
d<br>put together my Planet DAW. My &quot;production&quot; PC will be at ho=
me. I also<br>probably can't afford an Audio Interface at this time. Did it=
 recognize
eciated. I'm a bit nervous<br>because I had to sell some things to buy a la=
uote>

------=_Part_76555_14948739.1147809364585--