[PlanetCCRMA] Jack and KDE

Wed May 3 10:32:00 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 16:31 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> > creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> > control device hw:0
> > configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> > Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> > Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> > Sorry. The audio interface "hw:0" doesn't support any of the hardware
> > sample formats that JACK's alsa-driver can use.
> > ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
> > cannot load driver module alsa
> > no message buffer overruns
> >
> > Again, many thanks. And if it's the hardware, I'll just have to break
> > the bank and buy a Delta
>
> Hi Roy. Right, OK, are you ready, well lets go.  I have an SB16, dated 1993,
> that came out of the machine thats running my Smoothwall firewall. I've been
> into the Gateway 500 that has the Ensoniq card, removed it, and installed the
> SB16 in the only ISA slot on the machine. Booted up using the same kernel as
> you, removed the config for the Ensoniq card, and the old modem card that was
> in the way for the ISA cards backplate which is on the other side of the
> card. Next ran /usr/sbin/alsaconf, which obviously could not find PCI cards,
> so tried for ISA legacy cards, and selected SB16. Then alsaconf asked if I
> wanted to try for all irq/dma options, so I went for that, and it took a
> while, but came up with card found. Do you want to update /etc/modprobe.conf?
> Obviously yes. Now you play stuff with your soundcard. Famous last words, as
> I still had a big red X in the volume control on the panel. Anyway. Theres
> hardly any music apps on this install, so I installed Alsaplayer, borrowed
> a .ogg file from the other machine, and amazingly Alsaplayer played it. I
> must say that my lsmod has more stuff on it than yours, and have put it at
> the end of this post. Have a drink now, as this goes on a bit.lol.
>
> Now for Jack. Start Qjackctl, and start jack with it's settings that worked
> with the Ensoniq card. No joy here, with the same message output that you
> got. So now I go back into Qjackctl's settings for Jack. Server path should
> be jackd for 2.6 kernels. Thats ok. Driver? Right I change the driver to oss.
> Try to start Jack again, and Bingo! it works, using an oss driver
> through /dev/dsp. Tried to play Alsaplayer at the same time, but as Fernando
> has already said, these older cards do not support multiple streams, so it
> didn't work, but as soon as I stopped Jack, Alsaplayer that seemed to have
> been waiting to use the card, started up and played the .ogg.
>
> Ok, it works, Alsa is better. I change the driver back to Alsa, then on the
> right of the settings under "Audio" , I change that from "Duplex" to
> "Playback Only", as the message I got was complaining about capture not being
> available. Try to start Jack again, with driver as Alsa, and Audio as
> playback only, and Jack starts ok. Tried ZynAddSubFx connected to the output

I think those very old cards can't do real full duplex at 16 bit
resolution. That is, they can, for example play at 16 bit but then the
capture channel can only be 8 bits wide (yup). Obviously Jack will not
like that :-) And that's why it works in Playback only.

Maybe the OSS emulation in ALSA is going through the plug layer and
masking the disparity in bit widths.

-- Fernando