[PlanetCCRMA] best hard drive partition scheme

BJaY BJaY@safe-mail.net
Mon May 1 02:34:01 2006

I was just watching the streams of the zkm conference this weekend and there
was a talk on kernel optomisations for digital audio. The conclusion was to
use ext3. Reiserfs had previously thought of as good but no longer, because
of the way it was implemented
(http://www.ima.zkm.de/lac/download/LeeRevell/rlrevell-lac2006-slides.pdf
page 4).

I view swap partitions as a 'warning zone'. When you run out of memory, the
hd light comes on and stays on, saying 'it's time to buy more RAM'. Memory
is like disk space, you'll use it all and need more.

-----Original Message-----
From: planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
[mailto:planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU]On Behalf Of Rich E
Sent: 01 May 2006 06:46
To: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] best hard drive partition scheme

Hello list,

I've been searching around the net looking for current file sytem
suggestions, but most everything seems to be from a few years ago
(they talk about 2 gig harddrives...).  I was wondering what everyone
running intensive audio software is using for their main file system.
Also, it is a little unclear to me when to use primary or extended
partitions.

In a couple articles reiserfs was mentioned to be superior to ext3,
but I have to partition the hard drive manually to use it with fedora.
 I have an unformatted hard drive in this computer, should i set it up
with reiserfs before I begin installation?

Concerning swap partitions, is it unneccesary with 1gig ram?

Also, I assume the boot partition should be the first on the disk,
which probably has to be ext3.

Any suggestions, corrections or links are much appreciated.
Thanks,
Richie