[PlanetCCRMA] Re: FC3 ccrma runs very very slow.

Thu Mar 23 16:04:02 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 17:39 -0800, Rickey Moore wrote:

> --- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 22:34 +0000, Bal Dobe wrote:
> > > I have just installed the audio apps on my non ccrma FC3 install
> > and I
> > > can get rosegarden to work, I get no problems with system crawl.
> >

> > > Ok I can not get any sound out because the sound server is not
> > running
> > > but things seem to be working.
> > >
> > > That leads me to the question,
> > >
> > > Can I install the ccrma audio apps on my normal FC4 install,
> > without
> > > having to install the ccrma kernel?
>
> I'm also using FC4, and I tried the suggestions to edit modules.conf
> and .asoundrc to use two sound cards at once.
> http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/toots/el-cheapo/
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installkernelandsound.html#SECTION00023400000000000000
>
> FC4 didn't like the use of 'add' in modules.conf.

Hmmm, the proper file when using 2.6.x kernels is /etc/modprobe.conf,
maybe modules.conf is still being read but I don't know if there has
been a syntax change in what you can put there (most probably the reason
why add is not recognized). It looks like the instructions need to be
redone for newer kernels and os versions.

> I edited .asoundrc but I'm not getting sound from my second card.
> The alsa configuration program listed is missing from FC4. I'd
> appreciate any assistance you can spare. Thanx for the good job! Ric

This is probably the newer version of the alsa-utils package that fedora
core released. They are probably not including alsaconf as fc uses its
own configurator to configure the sound cards - so alsaconf is not
strictly necessary.

If you still want it you could downgrade to the Planet CCRMA version of
alsa-utils ("apt-get install alsa-utils=1.0.10-1.rhfc4.ccrma).

-- Fernando