[PlanetCCRMA] sound path audacity

tom poe tompoe@fngi.net
Mon Jul 31 14:32:02 2006

--------------000709090507000609070502

I'm gathering leads for exploring how sound works with ccrma and
recording, generally.

My daughter has an SBLive/emu10k sound card that seems to work fine with
fc5 low-latency (the rtd one) kernel.  System sounds work, and even the
xlite softphone application lets us hear the testing side "voice says
testing volume . . . please adjust volume for comfort" (then the slide
bar lets us adjust the volume).  But, when we go to the other side,
where it tests for hearing the microphone capture/playback, there's no
delayed playback.  Can't figure out what's happening when the microphone
is used to speak.  With no application active, my granddaughter can
speak into the microphone and hear herself through the speakers.  When I
bring up audacity (used yum and I think the audacity package from livna
repository), there's no activity with the microphone, and the I/O shows
it's using /dev/dsp as the audio path.

My question is, can you point me to info about how to follow application
-> sound card -> speakers?  Also, is there a command that shows what the
system path is that is being used by an application?  I saw some stuff
about ethereal, but have no idea how to coordinate it with an
application like audacity.  Any help appreciated.
Tom

--------------000709090507000609070502

begin:vcard
fn:Tom  Poe
n:Poe;Tom
org:Open Studios
adr:;;1315 Cleveland Avenue;Charles City;IA;50616;USA
email;internet:tompoe@fngi.net
title:Director
tel;work:sip://506167@voxalot.com
tel;home:641-228-3271