[PlanetCCRMA] yummy fix to installing planetccrma-core-* packages on fc5

Wed Jul 19 16:22:02 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 16:07 -0600, J. Joseph Benavidez wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> This looks pretty cool. I've got some questions though. (see below)
>
> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 2:58 pm, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > Hi all. I have just released an updated version of yum that adds a new
> > option to its configuration file. This enables yum to install older
> > kernels than the latest already installed, and fixes the problem Planet
> > CCRMA users were having when installing Planet CCRMA kernels _after_
> > updating to the latest Fedora kernel.
> >
> > If you have already installed Planet CCRMA doing "yum install yum"
> > should get the newest version.
> >
> > After installing it add the following line to /etc/yum.conf
> >
> > ----
> > oldpackage=1
> > ----
>
> Can this be set per-repo, or only global?
>
> Not so much a question, but a thought... could the patch be modified so that
> oldpackage takes glob arguments like the exclude variable? The exclude
> variable can be set globally and/or per-repo, plus you can specify specific
> packages. In this case, I suppose you would list all the packages for which
> you would want an older version.
>
> eg
>
> [planetccrma]
> ..
> ..
> oldpackage=kernel*
>
> Would install the older kernel from planet ccrma, but possibly get newer
> versions of packages that in the extras repo.
>
> (Not having seen the yum internals, I don't know how feasible this change is.)

The option is global, that is it affects all repositories and all
packages. What it is doing internally is passing a particular argument
to the rpm libraries that tell them to allow installing old packages. I
don't think there would be a way to do that and restrict it to just a
subset of packages.

[this is just mirroring the workaround that I used to use for apt]

Obviously I agree it would be great for things to work as you suggest.
As they say, patches welcome! :-)

-- Fernando