[PlanetCCRMA] i386 or x86_64

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 10:04:46 2006

On 7/8/06, Brandon Stuckert <bstuckert@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, just a quick question.  I am about to try to install Fedora core 5 and
> the planet ccrma packages.  I have an athlon64 3000+ and was wondering which
> version of Fedora I should install - the i386 or x86_64.  I think I remember
> reading a while ago that x86_64 is not supported by planet ccrma and that I
> should go with i386.  If this is true then it should be noted on the planet
> ccrma install instructions page.  I would also like to say that it is a
> great thing that you guys are doing, your efforts are much appreciated.
>

> -Brandon Stuckert

Brandon,
   I run 64-bit Gentoo on my AMD64 desktop here. I find no advantages
with audio software yet running 64-bit and a large number of
disadvantages, mostly having to do with web browsing. I have no
experience with 64-bit Fedora but I imagine that most of the problems
I've had with Flash, win32codecs, Java and multimedia embedding in
Firefox are pretty distro independent at this point.

   If I were in your place I would almost certainly install a 32-bit distro.

My 2 cents,
Mark