[PlanetCCRMA] No audio with FC4 kernel upgrade

Bruce Elliott belliott4488@comcast.net
Mon Jul 3 09:31:03 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to install Planet CCRMA on my FC4 installation, but I've
gotten only so far as the kernel upgrade, and the sound driver doesn't work.

Here's what I get when I boot into the new kernel (ver. no. in error
message below) and try to restart alsasound:

[root@localhost /]# /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-via82xx FATAL: Error inserting snd_via82xx
(/lib/modules/2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-via82xx.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
                                                           [FAILED]

I see a similar message during the boot-up sequence, but it flashes by
so quickly I haven't been able to write down the exact message.  It's
something to the same effect, though.

Also, KDE complains when I start it up, saying it can't initialize the
sound driver, but I'm guessing that's a secondary problem that will go
away if I fix the main problem with the sound module.

What should be my next step in trouble-shooting?

thanks,
Bruce E.