[PlanetCCRMA] Please help: audio not working!

Nathaniel Virgo nathanielvirgo@gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 12:27:01 2006

------=_Part_66801_9608455.1137183771470

Hi,

I had misdiagnosed the problem in my previous message: the actual problem i=
that audio has stopped working on this machine, period.  I don't know if th=
information I'm giving below is useful so please let me know if there's
anything else I can tell you.  I might have a gig in a few weeks so I reall=
need to get sound working again.

I use smarrt to keep my system up to date which means I have packages
installed from a variety of apt repositories but I'm running a Planet
kernel.   I'm not sure whether the problem started after an upgrade but I
assume it must have done.  When it started I was using alsa-lib
1.0.10-26.rhfc4.at (not sure if it started when this was installed though)
and apps were not able to open the sound devices, as if they were being
blocked by another program (but they weren't).  I downgraded to
1.0.10-1.rhfc4.ccrma but now if I try to use, say, aplay I get

ALSA lib pcm.c:1969:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Invalid type for PCM dmix:0
definition (id: dmix, value: cards.pcm.dmix)
aplay: main:544: audio open error: Invalid argument

When the package was being installed I got messages about
/etc/alsa/pcm/dmix.conf and dsnoop.conf being saved as dmix.conf.rpmsave an=
dsnoop.conf.rpmsave respectively.  This lead to some different error
messages to the ones above so I coped the rpmsaves into the files they
conflicted with and rebooted, which lead to the errors above.

I really hope somebody can help me.

Nathaniel

------=_Part_66801_9608455.1137183771470

Hi,<br><br>I had misdiagnosed the problem in my previous message: the actua=
l problem is that audio has stopped working on this machine, period.&nbsp; =
I don't know if the information I'm giving below is useful so please let me=
 know if there's anything else I can tell you.&nbsp; I might have a gig in =
a few weeks so I really need to get sound working again.
es installed from a variety of apt repositories but I'm running a Planet ke=
rnel.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm not sure whether the problem started after an upgrade=
 but I assume it must have done.&nbsp; When it started I was using alsa-lib=
=20
t started when this was installed though) and apps were not able to open th=
e sound devices, as if they were being blocked by another program (but they=
 weren't).&nbsp; I downgraded to=20
1.0.10-1.rhfc4.ccrma but now if I try to use, say, aplay I get <br><br>ALSA=
 lib pcm.c:1969:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Invalid type for PCM dmix:0 definition =
(id: dmix, value: cards.pcm.dmix)<br>aplay: main:544: audio open error: Inv=
alid argument
/pcm/dmix.conf and dsnoop.conf being saved as dmix.conf.rpmsave and dsnoop.=
conf.rpmsave respectively.&nbsp; This lead to some different error messages=