[PlanetCCRMA] The Yum and Apt Highlander battle

Wed Jan 11 08:43:03 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 14:54 +0100, Christian Frisson wrote:
> Heyall,
>
> The subjective wars aside, I've been using apt-get / synaptic since Planet
> CCRMA's debut and I'm been interesting myself lately into yum as it's the only
> and prefered (sic) way for Fedora updates (for example using the Livna
> repository). I've only tested its kyum and yumex GUIs so far: the two main
> drawbacks I find in there are slowliness and less enhanced database functions
> than in Synaptic (categories / state / filters)... It bet it's due to yum's
> youth.
>
> I hope repositories maintainers will all stick for the same one of the two only,
> because I'm already starting to face package discrepancies... In other words,
> how do you see it in the future, Fernando? ,-)

Fast "vacation mode" answer: yum is the long term answer (if only
because apt does not / cannot support x86_86 distros). But yum still
does not have a good gui on the level of synaptic, or (AFAIK) good (or
any?) support for versioned cdroms like apt (ie: you feed the cdroms to
apt-cdrom and then it asks for the right one for packages you want to
install).

-- Fernando