[PlanetCCRMA] Ima Newbie; can't get through install of FC4

Joe Fay wb0fhu@aol.com
Fri Feb 24 08:37:01 2006

Benjamin Hardy wrote:
>After trying a few other distros for the heck of it, I decided to go back
>to Fedora Core 4. I've installed it a few times so I know it works well on
>my hardware, but tonight I ran into something peculiar. After going through
>the install procedure, rebooting and then setting my monitor resolution and
>user name I hit next or finish. Instead of getting the gdm login screen I
>get black. Also, I have no keyboard input - i tried hitting the caps lock
>button on my usb keyboard and the led wasn't going on at all. I suspect
>nothing was going on with the mouse too, but I can't say as the screens
>just black. I tried a couple more reinstalls and noticed on the third try
>(I'm not famous for picking up important details) I noticed while setting
>up my partitions with disk druid (I always do) that it mention that my
>partitions were previously mounted as /1 , swap, and /home1. I most
>assuredly didn't put that in when I set up the mounts the last install and
>I did format them to erase all dat!
>a priori.

Benjamin, I don't think this problem is directly related to what happened
with me,  since I didn't even get into the first install before I got the
white screen.  Mine coughed up a hairball on the videocard it didn't like.

I do remember someone saying something similar happening to them on the
first reboot after the packages were installed.  But--since you say you
wiped the old partitions anyway, you might try letting the distro do the
automatic thing with the partioning and formating.  That's one of the things
I had to do to get things cooking.

I suspect that someone else here might have better suggestions for you.
Hope you get it running ok!

Joe Fay