[PlanetCCRMA] FC4 install with CCRMA

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Wed Feb 22 12:46:00 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 10:22, Tracey Hytry wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:57:02 -0600
>
> David Slimp <rock808@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fernando,
> >
> > This seems to be a common problem for newbies... especially
> > now that later grub versions only show the default kernel.
> >
> > Perhaps CCRMA install should update the default kernel in grub.conf
> > as some other installers do.... If the new kernel fails they can always
> >
> > What are your thoughts?
>
> I like David's suggestion on this, though I also feel we need to get
> together some better documentation on working with grub and mutiple
> installations.
>
> I have different fedora versions on my machine most of the time and have
> gotten pretty good at configuring grub.conf so that I can boot anyting I
> need with no problems.  Most of the time when I do a new install I tell the
> installer to put the bootloader(grub) on it's own partition(s) instead of
> the mbr, and I config the older fedora's grub.conf to boot the new kernels
> on the new install.
>
> It's not very hard to "re-grub" a machine to use a different "/boot" if you
> need to switch from an old distro to a new one if needed, it's all in the
> grub info pages(info grub).  One of the best things that people can do is
> read the info pages and create a grub boot disk.  We make both cdrom and
> floppy(when we can) versions.  These are bootable disks that bring you into
> a grub prompt where just about anything on the machine can be booted.  Grub
> is very powerfull.
>
> Tracey.

Hi Tracey. Sorry for the delay in replying. It's taken 15+ goes to get FC4
installed. This white screen of death problem, because of it not detecting my
Trident Cyberbladei1 video card. Anyway. back to Grub, as I wanted to see
what this new upgraded Grub looked like. Using multiple installs with
chainloaders to other distro's I don't like this at all. The first thing I
want to see is the Grub menu, not a Grub boot prompt. Do you know of any way
to get the Grub splash screen up at bootup, and bypass this default to the
Grub boot prompt, and booting to whatever is set as default. To my mind this
is a step backwards. if you want the prompt, you should be able to ask for
it, but otherwise, surely the menu is the first thing you see. Nigel.